The Wolverines head to Oxford, OH this weekend to take on Miami in a crucial series.
Here are 10 things to know about the RedHawks.
1) Miami comes in 14-9-5 on the year, ranked 18th in the latest Pairwise. Most of their struggles have come away from home, though. They're 8-3-1 at Cady Arena and just 6-6-4 away from there.
2) The RedHawks are 3-4-2 in their last nine games and two of those wins were against a fairly hapless Bowling Green team. Last weekend they split a pair of shootouts at Notre Dame.
3) Even through the recent struggles they've been scoring goals at a steady clip-28 over the last nine games, 3+ on six occasions, and fewer than two just one time.
4) The defense has been much more hit and miss though. Over the past nine games, they've given up 4, 1, 5, 1, 1, 7, 0, 5, and 2 goals. Really inconsistent.
5) Cody Reichard has the better record between the two goalies (9-4-1 to Knapp's 5-5-4) but their numbers are almost identical. They both have GAAs a tick over 2.25 and save percentages of .901. Aside from a blip against FYS where he gave up 4 on 12 shots and got yanked, Reichard has been solid lately. Prior to that game, he had given up 1 goal in each of his last four starts. He also gave up 2 at ND. Knapp has been a little more iffy. He has given up 3+ in three of his last four starts and took the loss in a relief role against FYS, giving up 2 on 9 shots in just over a period. Both goalies are down 20 in save percentage from a year ago.
6) The thing to really worry about with Miami, though, is the offense. Both Andy Miele and Carter Camper have asserted themselves as Hobey contenders. Miele has 15-34--49 and has only been held without a point in 5 games. He has 15 points in the last 6 games. Camper has scored a career-high 46 points already but has cooled off after a scorching start. By cooled off, I mean he ONLY has 9 points in his last 8 games. They're the two leading scorers in the country.
7) I haven't even gotten to sophomore Reilly Smith, who leads the team in goals with 19. He had three against ND last weekend. Pat Cannone also has almost a point per game. Those guys and 11 goal scorer Alden Hirschfield, who scored the second overtime goal in the Michigan/Miami Regional Final last year, make up the majority of their 7th ranked offense.
8) As you would expect, their power play is really good: 24.8% on the season, ranking third nationally. They have allowed 5 shorties. The PK has been good as well, 8th ranked at 86.5%. They've scored five SHGs of their own.
9) This is a big weekend for Miami. After this series, they'll have just four games left to play, including a pair against surprising Western Michigan. They sit four points behind Michigan and five behind Notre Dame. Michigan has two games in hand on both teams. If they don't sweep the Wolverines, it would be really hard for Miami to pass Michigan in the standings. Even assuming 18 points for Miami (and a sweep this weekend), Michigan would need five wins in their last six to pass Miami. A split, though, and we'd only need nine points even if Miami wins out.
10) David Wohlberg (3) and Kevin Lynch (2) are the only guys with multiple career goals against Miami. Rust, Hagelin, and Cappy all have a goal and a slew of assists. Hunwick is 1-1-0 against Miami and was great in both games: Last year's CCHA semifinal and the screwjob in the Regional Championship. Miele has 5-4--9 in 11 games, but we have held him without a ppg and he is -3. Camper has 1-5--6 against Michigan. Cannone killed us last year (3-2--5 with two goals in the regional). Knapp is 2-1 with a 2.00/.929 but we've been able to get to Reichard (2.59/.899)
Friday's game will air on CBS College Sports. Saturday night, the game will air on Fox Sports Detroit.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6